Dru Back Care course
Dru Back Care course
The Dru Back Care course is a 24 hour course at diploma level, which is open to qualified Dru Yoga teachers and teachers from other accredited yoga schools.
How will the course benefit my classes
The course is designed to enhance your teaching skills and enable you to work confidently with students who experience back pain, using therapeutic techniques from Dru Yoga.
The Dru Back Care course is a part of our postgraduate education programme and can be undertaken as a stand-alone module, with an emphasis on the practical application of yoga in a class-based setting. You will study current guidelines for back care in the NHS, current medical management, and potential diagnoses that yoga teachers encounter in their students.
dru yoga teacher, West yorkshire
I went on the Back Pain foundation course because I have suffered with back pain, and many of my family have, for many years and I know how amazing Dru Yoga can be to help with this. The course has given me both knowledge and confidence to teach specific classes for those with back pain, and to bring my learning into my normal classes. It has also helped me personally by giving me a deeper understanding of my own pain and the behaviours associated to it. It was a process of discovery and learning that I feel privileged to have been able to undertake and I look forward to be passing on the benefits to my students.
In addition, the course will examine back problems through an understanding of koshas, chakras and prana; how the practice of Dru Yoga benefits the spine; how yoga can be adapted for back problems; and how to approach relaxation as an essential tool.
Participants on this course will be asked to conduct a series of classes for people with back problems and to complete a written reflection of their experience between the first and second weekend. On successful completion of the course, you will receive a certificate.
- To give yoga teachers deeper knowledge, skills and confidence when teaching yoga students with back problems in their classes.
- To help yoga teachers recognise some of the common imbalances / problems associated with back pain.
- To train yoga teachers to safely run effective back care classes.
Weekend 1:18/19 February 2017 Weekend 1:6/7 May 2017
Weekend 2: 8/9 April 2017 Weekend 2: 1/2 July 2017
What you will learn
- You will learn about the common conditions of the back that will be encountered by yoga teachers.
- Anatomy, physiology and pathology of back conditions;
- Evidence base for therapeutic yoga and other approaches for managing back pain.
- Introduction to the therapeutic use of the kosha and chakra models in back care yoga classes.
- Experience of asanas tailored to the therapeutic relief of back pain.
- Specific techniques for deep relaxation of the spine.
- Evidence based, graduated programmes based on Dru Yoga, that you can use to develop your own yoga classes for clients experiencing back problems/pain.
- The course will include a combination of lectures, practical yoga and teaching sessions with time to practice the skills you are learning.
- There will be a reflective practice portfolio assignment between weekends one and two, and small group practical assessments on the final day of the course.
Increase knowledge and confidence for teaching yoga to students with back problems
What course materials will I receive?
You will be provided with a course manual, pdf templates of class plans, home practice sheets to give to your students, and a pre-class health questionnaire.