Postgrad - Back Care course in the South West, Jun 2019
Dru Yoga Postgraduate Back Care Course
This taught certificate course is open to qualified Dru Yoga teachers, and also to teachers from other schools of yoga. It is a stand- alone course, very practical and based on class teaching.
The 30 CPD points comprises 24 points for contact hours plus 6 points (a minimum of 6 hours) for personal research. The course is held over two non-residential weekends.
- To give yoga teachers deeper knowledge, skills and confidence when teaching students with back problems in their classes.
- To train yoga teachers to safely run effective back care classes.
One of the cornerstones of the current understanding of managing back pain is that movement is very important! It is our intention that by the end of the two weekend programme you will feel very capable in your capacity as a yoga teacher to help many people to move safely with greater ease, comfort and confidence. You will be able to select appropriately for the students who attend the lessons from the wide range of materials offered in the three lesson templates. These are designed to progressively add more challenge as students become more trusting of their bodies.
- Anatomy, physiology and pathology of back conditions, common back conditions are encountered by yoga teachers
- Evidence-base for yoga therapy and other approaches for managing back pain.
- Introduction to the therapeutic use of the kosha and chakra models in back care yoga classes.
- Experience of asanas tailored to the therapeutic relief of back pain
- Specific techniques for deep relaxation of the spine.
- Three customised and graduated back care programmes to use as templates for your classes. These programmes are based on recent scientific research using Dru Yoga techniques,
Here are some of the themes of the sessions:
- Current medical management of low back and neck pain
- NICE ( National Institute for Clinical Excellence) guidelines for back care
- Guidance on teaching back care classes
- Back care registration questionnaire
- Practical experience of level 1,2 & 3 classes
- Experience the power of effective relaxation techniques for those with back pain
- A fresh look at core stability
- The bio-psychosocial model (people's personal experience of their back pain)
- Obstacles to getting better
- Screening tools
- The 15%: specific pathologies problems that can arise in each tissue and area of the spine
- Red flags
- Fascia, myofascial pathways and yoga
- Nervous systed and neurodynamics
- Referred symptoms from the spine
- Common medication used in management of back pain
- The Yoga therapy model
- Business opportunities
Here's a sample video from the Health Back Programme for you
The programme will include a mixture of lectures and practical yoga sessions, with time for you to practice the skills you are learning. There will be a reflective practice portfolio assignment between weekends one and two, and small group practical assessments on the final day of the course
You will be provided with a full-colour course manual plus pdf’s of template class plans and home practice sheets to give to your students, as well as a pre-class health questionnaire.
Course tutors: Padma McIntyre and senior Dru Yoga tutors.
Weekend One: 1 - 2 June 2019
Weekend Two : 20 - 21 July 2019
A deposit fee of £100 is required to confirm your booking. This deposit is non-refundable **. The balance becomes due by 1st May 2019 (or 1 March if taking advantage of the Early Bird rate)
Feedback from previous back care courses:
“This course is going to enhance and change my yoga teaching. I want all of my students to feel empowered with strength and the freedom to move, not just those with back pain. It is also going to be a fantastic journey for me, for helping me with my own back pain.“ N.H.
“I taught the 6-week Dru Yoga back programme to a client who had uncontrolled epilepsy and chronic pain, which prevented him from sleeping more than two hours at a time. He now takes no painkillers and sleeps all night. So a big thank-you for the lesson plans.....they really work”. J.B.
"The Dru team pool their vast and varied knowledge and experience to provide a comprehensive back care course”. K. L.
"Great CPD – a natural and helpful progression for Dru teachers. I have gained confidence in applying knowledge from my training to really help people with back pain. C.J.
"This course has given me confidence and lots of practical techniques to help people who experience back pain." P.H.
Prices and booking
Non-refundable** deposit to reserve your place : £100 (deducted from the total fee)
DPN Members £320
Standard Fee £380
** On some occasions we may suggest that you do some more preparation before joining the course, or that another stream of Dru would better serve you. If that happens your deposit is fully refundable.
I not only enjoyed it, I loved it! Thank you. It really helped me to feel my core stability muscles. I'm looking forward training them ;-)
If you want to physically strengthen your body and emotionally enhance your mind, Dru Yoga will give you the tools to take into your daily life and help you cope with the stresses of modern living.
Thank you, this was lovely. It was great to have your teaching in my home! Great production also - good picture, good sound, easy to fast forward and great that I could see what was happening as I fast forwarded so I knew when to stop. I also like the way Dru Online is bringing us more specific subjects like this one, that before we have only seen in the workbooks. Thank you.