Dinacharya is the mystical secret of the east that has all the solutions you would ever need to keep young, happy and full of energy.
‘Din’ means ‘day’ and ’ acharya’ means wisdom - in a word - Dinacharya is the the most amazing way to create a daily routine that guarantees an enriching and energising day. Fortunately for us, Ayurveda is steeped in a multitude of techniques, practices and therapies that have the ability to totally enrich our every day experience in every way possible. The good news is that it is an all natural approach to health!
You may well know that Ayurveda is based on the 5 elements that form a combination of 3 main constitutions – Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Vata people are mobile, light, dry, creative, quick thinking, light hearted and they are great communicators. People with a Pitta constitution are ambitious, good leaders, passionate, friendly and confident. Kapha people are grounded, loyal, stable, kind and loving. The following routines are designed to support all three doshas.
There are two ways of using Dinacharya. The traditional morning health sequence and the daily practices that can be used throughout your day.
The traditional Dinacharya health sequence
Have a go and discover the power that you can access from within. Gain greater mental clarity and improved memory and joy.
- Start your day by booking your bathroom for 15 mins!
- Warm water: start your day with a warm drink of water.
- Oil pulling: start by using 2 tablespoons of warm sesame oil and swilling it around your mouth for 2 minutes, then spit it out into the sink. This helps remove toxins that may have built up during the night.
- Gargling: then take another tablespoon of sesame oil and gargle to help clear your throat.
- Brush teeth: to help move the oil from your mouth and as a mouth freshener.
- Body massage: now take a few minutes to massage your body with a warm oil (sesame oil is a good all rounder).
- Warm shower: enjoy a warm shower that will allow the oil to enter deeper into the skin.
- Neti: this is a pot of warm (salty) water that will clear your head and sinuses when gently poured through one nostril to the other.
- Nasya: is where you place a small amount of ghee in the opening of the nostrils to help lubricate and clear the head (you can also lubricate the ears with some ghee to help the nervous system).
Dinacharya for the rest of the day!
These are tried and tested techniques that will increase your health and youthfulness and give you an abundance of energy.
Take a walk daily as this balances all the doshas.
Yoga and relaxation – this can be further developed by practising according to your dosha
- Epsom salt bath
Supplements or herbs that are a general all round asset to your health kit:
- Triphala: This is a popular supplement that is helped to promote bowel movement. Many individuals also experience constipation and bowel irregularity.
- Brahmi: Brahmi helps compartmentalise information in the brain and provides clarity – and once you feel organised and on top of things, the stress just falls away as a wonderful side benefit.
- Turmeric: Turmeric (curcuma longa), the bright yellow of the spice rainbow, is a powerful medicine that is beneficial as an anti-inflammatory agent to treat a wide variety of conditions, including flatulence, jaundice, menstrual difficulties, bloody urine, haemorrhage, toothache, bruises, chest pain, and colic.
We invite you to try any of the above practices to help improve your health and well being. As you feel more energy, you will feel younger and lighter in mind, body and soul. Ayurveda is a great way to learn many different ways to improve your health, correct your weight, and enjoy many more years of life and abundance – to find out more, have a look at the following Ayurveda course that we are running in North Wales – the best gift you can give yourself.