So, you want to have a meditation practice, because you've heard about the many benefits, but where do you begin? This week's Dru Yoga tips for life will get you going with some practices from the *Dru Meditation online course.
First of all, here are the benefits so you definitely know you want to start meditating, straight away.
- improves wellbeing
- reduces stress
- reduces reactivity, enabling more positive relationships
- enables clearer decision making
- increases creativity
And that's an abbreviated list! So now, how to begin? When you start a meditation practice you only need to set aside 10 - 15 minutes, which you can build it up gradually, as you want to. Find a quiet place where you can sit in comfort.
In Dru meditation, there are three stages
- Movement - this reduces restlessness in your body before you sit and you can use any of the movements we have introduced in Dru Yoga tips for life.
- Relaxation - relaxes the mind and body, enabling greater concentration and you can use the short relaxation in Dru Tip #7.
- Stillness - rests your mind and enables clarity in every aspect of your life. Close your eyes, if they are not already closed, and allow your mind to rest. If thoughts come into your mind, gently bring your attention back to your breath. When you are ready, open your eyes and allow yourself to sit for a few minutes, noticing how your mind and body feels while you return to the material world.
Practicing this short meditation regularly will enhance your life and bring a greater sense of inner peace. And, if you want to meditate, remember to move, relax, breath and be still, in just 10-15 minutes!