In this short class we enjoy two strong poses to strengthen and tone every single muscle in your body! Especially focused on toning the gluteal muscles and core whilst also stretching the hamstrings these postures take you gently beyond your comfort zone as you venture into a balance with an inversion.
First up is Ardha Chandrasana - the half moon pose. Arhda = half, Chandra = moon, Asana = posture. This pose is a balance with a difference. Essentially it is bakasana (crane) pose with one arm lifted up towards the sky (to open the body). Sometimes surprisingly hard to balance this pose, it will challenge you and yet give a great sense of satisfaction too!
The second pose is Paravritta Ardha Chandrasana, which means rotated half moon pose. So it’s the same pose as above but with a twist (so you’re looking behind you). This completely demands all your focus and awareness! Enjoy!
You may find you need to do some activations or some of your regular practice to prepare you for these postures.
- expansion of chest area
- increase of mobility in the hips
- creates a stretch in groin area, hamstrings and chest
- demands focus, coordination and balance
- strengthens core, ankles, thighs, gluteal muscles and spinal muscles
- expansion of the energetic layers
- reduces physical, mental and emotional fatigue
- reduces stress levels - as you focus on breath, alignment in the present moment
- Hamstring stretch (if you don’t feel a stretch you may need to do adjust to a different form of hamstring stretch according to your body)
- Core stability strengthening (from standing cat)
Special thanks to our wonderful demonstrator Roos Kocken and class attendees Simon, Alison and Kate. Also a thank you to Epic Sana Algarve for the use of their fabulous grounds :-)